Writing Picture Books for Children: A Two Day Workshop (Online)
This workshop has been postponed until June/July 2021
Dates: 14th & 15th May 2021 (Postponed)
Time: 10am-5pm (with optional drinks at the end of day 1)
Location: Online (Zoom)
Capacity: 15 places
Join award-winning author Alan Durant on Zoom in this fun workshop that covers the key techniques for writing picture books for 3-7 year olds – and gain valuable feedback from both a Penguin Random House Children’s bestselling illustrator and an experienced editor.
"The workshop was fantastic...a wonderful setting that let the magic of words flow. Alan's great sense of humour and free flowing style of teaching helped me learn so much in such a short time. We had great little chats with each other, and made warm friendships. The finale when we read our stories out was captivating." - Ananda, workshop attendee
- Zoom begins at 9.45am for a 10am start.
- The workshop finishes on both days at 5pm; at the end of the first day you are invited to stay on after the workshop for a drink and Children's Books themed pub quiz with Alan and your fellow writers.
- There will be lunch and tea breaks throughout the day.
- The key elements of classic picture books.
- Knowing your audience – advice on how to write for children who can’t read, or are at the early stages of reading.
- How to write a book that will appeal to a young audience, and also excite the reader (often an adult).
- Coming up with ideas – how to explore your own memories for stories, as well as the imagination of your child or relative.
- Classic themes – from fear of the dark to a desire for independence; from first experiences to imaginative play.
- Style – expert advice on how to write a story that should be read aloud, plus tips on sentence structure and word count.
- Pictures – guidance on how to write a story that will be illustrated.
- Practical writing activities and the opportunity to share your story with the group and get constructive feedback from a Penguin Random House Children’s bestselling illustrator and an experienced editor.
About Alan Durant:
Alan Durant is the award-winning author of over 100 children’s books, including the acclaimed picture books Always and Forever, Burger Boy, and Dear Father Christmas. Alan is an experienced writing tutor, who has run many workshops for children and adults.
Do I need to do any work before the workshop?
There is no need to prepare anything before the workshop but you are encouraged to read your picture books for format and inspiration. You are also encouraged to share your favourite picture book with your fellow writers by joining a Slack group set up for the purpose of the class.
Do I need to bring anything with me to the workshop?
If you have a favourite notepad, or prefer to write on a laptop, please do bring this with you. Alan also asks that you have with you a favourite toy from your childhood, or a toy that belongs to your child or a relative, along with one of your favourite picture books.
Please get in touch at email@example.com if you have any queries.
Please see our Delivery and Returns page for the full list of options