PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE EVENTS
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
In addition to our Terms and Conditions of Sale into which these terms are hereby incorporated, these terms and conditions (Event Terms) apply to participation in creative writing workshops run by Penguin Books Limited or our sister company The Random House Group Limited (together referred to herein as “we”) (the Events and each an Event). By purchasing a place at an Event, you agree to be bound by these Event Terms. If you are purchasing the ticket for another person, the person attending the Event (the Delegate) will be required to adhere to these terms and conditions.
- The sale and purchase of tickets for the Event will be subject to the Penguin Shop Terms and Conditions of Sale found here. Where these Event Terms conflict with the terms and conditions of sale, these Event Terms shall prevail to the extent of such discrepancy.
- The Delegate will be sent a pack confirming the Delegate’s attendance at the Event and giving further details about the Event (the Welcome Pack). You or the Delegate should check this carefully on receipt and inform us of any errors as soon as possible. We are under no obligation to rectify Delegate errors after a contract has been formed and you should therefore take care to ensure that all information provided during your order is accurate.
- Event places are for personal use only and may not be purchased as part of any form of business or commercial activity.
- Confirmed participation in the Event cannot be refunded or exchanged unless the Event is cancelled, or its date is changed, by us. If we cancel the Event, we will contact you or the Delegate using the details provided at purchase and offer a refund or, at our option in the case of re-scheduling, participation in the rescheduled Event.
- You may cancel your purchase of the Event place in accordance with our terms and conditions of sale. See here for details.
- The Event
- The price of the ticket covers only:
- The Delegate’s attendance at the Event during the stated hours; and
- Tea, coffee and lunch during the Event.
- The Charges will not cover the following, which Delegate is responsible for arranging the following at their own cost;
- any travel and accommodation;
- meals and drinks other than as set out in clause 2.1.2 above;
- any other costs or charges incurred by the Delegate or anyone for whom the Delegate is responsible during or in relation to the Event.
- The Delegate’s participation at the event is subject to:
- Receipt of full payment for the cost of attendance at the Event plus any booking charges and where applicable VAT;
- Eligibility of the Delegate (Delegates must be over 18);
- The Delegate conforming to these Event Terms and any other terms that the Delegate is made aware of in their Welcome Pack and/or at the Event itself (the Additional Terms); and
- our discretion.
- The Events will take place on a specific date and we will not be able to refund you where you do not attend or do not cancel your place in accordance with the terms and conditions of sale. Tickets are not transferable to another date for the same course.
- We reserve the right to change the venue and to make minor alterations to the timetable and content of the Event. In the unlikely event that we have to replace a tutor, we will endeavour to replace that tutor with one that has similar expertise. We will not offer refunds for a change of venue or tutor.
- In rare circumstances we may have to cancel an Event, in which case we will refund the price of the ticket but not any transport, accommodation or other costs for which the Delegate is responsible.
- Unless authorised (and then only as authorised) by us, the use of recording equipment (audio, video or photographic) at the Event is prohibited and such equipment may be confiscated for the duration of the Event and any recording made may be deleted at our request and at the Delegate’s risk.
- Delegates consent to being photographed, filmed or sound recorded for promotional purposes or by security CCTV.
- We may ourselves or through the owner or manager of the relevant venue at which the Event takes place (the Venue Owner) carry out security searches and reserve the right to refuse admission to or remove a Delegate from the Event (whether or not he or she has a confirmed right to attend) at our reasonable discretion if we believe that that Delegate presents a security risk.
- No refunds will be offered to Delegates who are refused entry or ejected from the Event on account of late arrival, being or appearing to be under age, declining to be searched, abusive, threatening, drunken or other anti-social behaviour (including smoking in no smoking areas), carrying offensive weapons or illegal substances, making unauthorised audio, video or photographic recordings or is otherwise in breach of these Event Terms or any other terms notified to the Delegate from time to time.
Liability and Indemnities
- Nothing in these Terms excludes or limits the liability of us or the Venue Owner for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or any other liability which cannot be excluded on a point of law.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law neither we nor the Venue Owner accepts liability or responsibility for:
- personal property brought to the Event by any Delegate; or
- any indirect or consequential loss of any kind in contract, tort or otherwise arising out of your purchase of the ticket or the Delegate’s attendance at an Event;
- Each Delegate agrees to defend, indemnify and hold us and/or the Venue Owner and their respective employees and agents harmless from any and all liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, related to any violation of these Terms by, or authorised or facilitated by, that Delegate.
Privacy and Data Protection
- Delegates’ personal information including name, address, telephone number, email address and credit/debit card details (Delegate Information) may be recorded by us and the Venue Owner for the purpose of processing and monitoring attendance at the Event, resolving any subsequent problems or disputes and/or our internal administration and analysis.
- We may disclose Delegate information to third parties only for the purpose of processing and monitoring the Delegate’s attendance at the Event and associated administration or for the purpose of obtaining professional advice.
- We and the Venue Owner may each use Delegate Information for the purpose of contacting Delegates in relation to future events, offers or promotions run by us and for the purpose of gathering feedback in relation to the Event.
- Neither we nor the Venue Owner will sell, rent or trade Delegates’ information to third parties for marketing purposes.
Confidentiality and copyright
- Each Delegate must keep confidential and not copy, publish or disclose to any other person in any form any writing, titles, plot or storylines, characters or other ideas, concepts or information expressed or communicated in any form by the tutor, any featured author or illustrator, any other delegates or others in anticipation of, during or following and related to the Event (Creative Information) unless and only to the extent that the person expressing or communicating such Creative Information can be shown to have expressly consented to its use by others.
- Delegates must understand that, whilst attendance numbers to the Event are limited, the Event is effectively open to the public and that we, the Venue Owner, the tutor or any author appearing at the Event do not control and have no liability for use or disclosure by others attending the Event of any Creative Information in any form. Accordingly each Delegate is recommended not to disclose in any form any Creative Information or other personal information which the Delegate would not wish others to adapt or use.
- Each Delegate will have due regard to the sensibilities of other Delegates at the Event.
- Any Creative Information created and communicated by the tutor and/or a featured author or illustrator at, preparatory to or following and related to an Event is and will remain their absolute property may not be copied or communicated elsewhere or in any other way without the express consent of the author or in strict accordance with the laws of copyright.
- These Terms, the Penguin Shop Terms and Conditions of Sale and any Additional Terms represent the entire agreement between us and the Delegate in relation to their subject matter. To the extent permitted by law, all conditions and warranties implied by law, statute or otherwise are expressly excluded.
- We reserve the right to add to or amend these terms from time to time, provided that such amendments do not materially change the nature of the Event or impose material additional obligations on the Delegate. Amendments will take effect when notified by email to the Delegate, who agrees to be bound by the updated version of these Terms.
- Failure by us to insist upon the strict performance of any Delegate’s obligations under the Terms will not be construed as a waiver and will not affect our rights to require strict performance of such obligations.
- If any provision of these Event Terms or the Additional Terms or part thereof is found to be invalid or unenforceable, the invalidity or unenforceability of such provision or part will not affect any other provision or the remainder of the provision in which such invalid or unenforceable part is contained, which will remain in full force and effect.
- All notices must be in writing and may be served by either party on the other by hand, by first class pre-paid post or by email stating in its subject line the date and nature of the Event to which it relates. The address for service, in the case of a notice from Delegate to us, is specified at the top of these Terms and, in the case of a notice from us to Delegate, will be the address stated in the Event order.
- These Terms are intended to confer a benefit on the Venue Owner where so stated but nothing in these Terms which form the agreement between us and each Delegate will give nor is intended to give rights to any other third party under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise.